Pilanesberg Game Reserve
is a sanctuary for a variety of Wildlife
including the Big Five - rhino, lion, elephant, leopard and buffalo. Situated inside the eroded crater of an extinct volcano in the North West province (adjacent to Sun City,) it has a history
that covers many centuries.
Pilanesberg is one of the largest volcanic and Alkaline Ring Complexes
of its kind in the world. Its rare rock types and structure make it a unique geological feature.
The early presence of man can be seen in the numerous Stone and Iron Age sites that are scattered throughout the park.
The Pilanesberg Game Reserve exists within the transition zone between the dry Kalahari and wetter Lowveld vegetation, commonly referred to as "Bushveld". Unlike any other large park, unique overlaps of mammals, birds and vegetation occur because of this transition zone.
The colourful hues, varied habitats and panoramas will delight and entertain photographers and visitors. Off the centre of the park is Thabayadiotso, "the Proud Mountain" and the beauty of Pilanesberg is reflected in a large central lake, the Mankwe Dam. Accommodation in the Pilanesberg Game Reserve
The game reserve is served by luxury lodges and 2 resorts: Manyane Resort
- nestles at the Gateway to the Pilanesberg. Set in unspoilt natural surroundings are thatched African-style chalets studded in a tapestry of indigenous flora. Bakgatla Resort
- offers colonial styled chalets, executive safari tents, rolling lawns & conference facilities for up to 250 delegates.Tshukudu Bush Lodge
- offers unsurpassed accommodation in the heart of the African bush and has earned a reputation as being one of the most luxurious in Africa. Bakubung Bush Lodge
- surrounds a hippo pool and offers you comfort and tranquility only minutes away from Sun City. Kwa Maritane Lodge
- the luxurious Kwa Maritane Lodge offers you views over the infinite plains of the Pilanesberg National Park Ivory Tree Game Lodge
- provides 5-star luxury close to the Bakgatla Gate.Shepherd's Tree Game Lodge
- features 13 double and 4 executive suites along an elevated contour line providing panoramic vistas of the reserve.Pilanesberg Private Lodge
- situated in the Black Rhino Reserve with 5 sleeping units that is connected via paved pathways and bridges to the communal area.Buffalo Thorn Lodge
- located in the Black Rhino Game Reserve offers a luxury self catering lodge sleeping 10 people.Wildlife
An abundance of wild life proliferate in 580 km of diverse and arresting bushveld terrain. The Pilanesberg Game Reserve is home to healthy populations of lion, leopard, black and white rhino, elephant and buffalo - Africa's "Big Five".
A wide variety of rare and common species exist with endemic species like the nocturnal brown hyaena, the fleet-footed cheetah, the majestic sable, as well as giraffe, zebra, hippo and crocodile, to mention but a few. Birdlife
Bird watching is excellent with over 300 species recorded. Some are migrants, others permanent inhabitants; some eat carrion or live prey, others eat seeds, fruit or tiny water organisms.
There is a self-guided trail in the Walking Area at Manyane Complex in the east, which offers environmental education whilst enjoying game viewing and bird watching on foot. Also at Manyane is a walk-in aviary with over 80 species of indigenous birds. Entrance Fees
Adults: R45.00 per person
Pensioners: R20.00 per person
Children: R20.00 per person
Vehicles: R15.00 per vehicle
Subject to change without prior notice.Additional info for visitors
* All Pilanesberg Accommodation
* Pilanesberg Map
* Pilanesberg Tours
Pilanesberg Game Reserve Activities:
Visitors are offered many opportunities to experience the wonders of Pilanesberg Game Reserve. There are nearly 200 kilometres of excellent quality roads for either self-drives or guided drives, and professional guides operate within the park.
Numerous hides and scenic picnic sites enable the tourist to experience "out-of-car" experiences as well.
Guests staying in the Pilanesberg Game Reserve or Day-Visitors are invited to join any of these unique and extraordinary Balloon Safaris & other adventures
or Pilanesberg Safaris
In the middle of the game reserve is the Pilanesberg Centre, a lovely old building that once served as the local magistrate's court.
Pilanesberg Game Reserve Map:
Health & Climate:
Pilanesberg National Park is situated in a in the malaria-free area.