Golden Gate Highlands National Park
, lies nestled in the rolling foothills of the Maluti Mountains of the north-eastern Free State.
This is true highlands habitat, home to a variety of mammals - black wildebeest, eland, blesbok, oribi, springbok and Burchell's zebra - and birds, including the rare bearded vulture (lammergeier) and the equally rare bald ibis, which breed in the ledges of the sandstone cliff. Golden Gate Highlands National Park
derives its name from the brilliant shades of gold cast by the sun on the park's sandstone cliffs, especially the imposing Brandwag rock.
Generaalskop, the highest point in the park, reveals a breathtaking tapestry of red, yellow and purple hues as its warm shades merge with the cool mountain shadows towards evening.
Places of interest at Golden Gate Highlands National Park include:
- the Van Reenen family graveyard
- the impressive Brandwag buttress rock formation
- a bird hide at the Langtoon Dam
- interesting lookout points and viewpoints - Zuluhoek lookout point, Generaalskop viewpoint, the third highest point in the park; Oribi basin and Drakensberg view. Accommodation at Golden Gate Highlands National ParkGlen Reenen Restcamp
Situated about 10km from the entrance gate of Golden Gate Highlands National Park, it offers a variety of Rondavels, Longdavels and Family Cottages as well as a Farm House.Highlands Mountain Retreat
Highlands Mountain Retreat is a luxury camp 2200m above sea-level offering eight log cabins nestled in the foothills of Golden Gate.The Golden Gate Hotel
The Golden Gate Hotel is situated 3km from the entrance gate and Glen Reenen Rest camp about 4 km from there.Basotho Cultural Village Rest Camp
Situated on the eastern side of the Park at the Cultural Village with selfcatering accommodation in rondawels.Important Notice
1. Accommodation rates do not include Conservation Fees
which are payable at the entrance gates.
2. Please ensure that you are familiar with the Rules & Regulations
of National Parks before making a booking.
3. Golden Gate Highlands National Park currently does not have a liquor license, you are welcome to bring your own liquor.Facilities at Golden Gate Highlands National Park
Picnic site for day visitors has ablution and barbecue facilities.
Glen Reenen Restcamp has a general dealer. Activities at Golden Gate Highlands National Park
- Short nature trails (varying from 1 hour to 5 hours): no bookings required.
- Game viewing at leisure in own vehicle.
- Environmental education courses (varying from 1 to 5 days).
- Bowls, tennis, table tennis and snooker at Golden Gate Hotel
- Horse-riding during peak periods.
- Swimming in natural pool at Glen Reenen Restcamp
- Basotho Cultural Village
- Rhebok Hiking Trail
(2 days and 1 night): maximum of 18 persons per group. Climate
Cool highveld summers with the possibility of thunderstorms in the afternoon and cold winters with occasional snow transforming the park into a white wonderland.