Golden Gate Highlands National Park
, lies nestled in the rolling foothills of the Maluti Mountains of the north-eastern Free State.
This is true highlands habitat, home to a variety of mammals - black wildebeest, eland, blesbok, oribi, springbok and Burchell's zebra - and birds, including the rare bearded vulture (lammergeier) and the equally rare bald ibis, which breed in the ledges of the sandstone cliff. Golden Gate Highlands National Park
derives its name from the brilliant shades of gold cast by the sun on the park's sandstone cliffs, especially the imposing Brandwag rock.
Generaalskop, the highest point in the park, reveals a breathtaking tapestry of red, yellow and purple hues as its warm shades merge with the cool mountain shadows towards evening.
Places of interest at Golden Gate Highlands National Park include:
- the Van Reenen family graveyard
- the impressive Brandwag buttress rock formation
- a bird hide at the Langtoon Dam
- interesting lookout points and viewpoints - Zuluhoek lookout point, Generaalskop viewpoint, the third highest point in the park; Oribi basin and Drakensberg view. Accommodation at Golden Gate Highlands National ParkGlen Reenen Restcamp
Situated about 10km from the entrance gate of Golden Gate Highlands National Park, it offers a variety of Rondavels, Longdavels and Family Cottages as well as a Farm House.Highlands Mountain Retreat
Highlands Mountain Retreat is a luxury camp 2200m above sea-level offering eight log cabins nestled in the foothills of Golden Gate.The Golden Gate Hotel
The Golden Gate Hotel is situated 3km from the entrance gate and Glen Reenen Rest camp about 4 km from there.Basotho Cultural Village Rest Camp
Situated on the eastern side of the Park at the Cultural Village with selfcatering accommodation in rondawels.
The gates in Golden Gate do not close. The road running through the Park is a public road which does not allow for the installation of any boom gates. Gate control is done at both receptions (Golden Gate Hotel and Glen Reenen Rest Camp) on arrival.Important Notice
1. Accommodation rates do not include Conservation Fees
which are payable at the entrance gates.
2. Please ensure that you are familiar with the Rules & Regulations
of National Parks before making a booking.
3. Golden Gate Highlands National Park currently does not have a liquor license, you are welcome to bring your own liquor.Facilities at Golden Gate Highlands National Park
Picnic site for day visitors has ablution and barbecue facilities.
Glen Reenen Restcamp has a general dealer. Activities at Golden Gate Highlands National Park
- Short nature trails (varying from 1 hour to 5 hours): no bookings required.
- Game viewing at leisure in own vehicle.
- Environmental education courses (varying from 1 to 5 days).
- Bowls, tennis, table tennis and snooker at Golden Gate Hotel
- Horse-riding during peak periods.
- Swimming in natural pool at Glen Reenen Restcamp
- Basotho Cultural Village
- Rhebok Hiking Trail
(2 days and 1 night): maximum of 18 persons per group. Climate
Cool highveld summers with the possibility of thunderstorms in the afternoon and cold winters with occasional snow transforming the park into a white wonderland.
Facilities & Services:
Golden Gate Highlands National Park Map:
Golden Gate Highlands National Park Guest Reviews
Average Guest Rating:
out of 5
based on 60
reviews. - View all Guest Reviews
Rating: Reviewed by Amelia Viljoen on 23 November 2015
Fantastic - the views are magnificent and the silence is healing. Good service and friendly staff. One of the best kept secrets in SA.
Rating: Reviewed by JJ de Klerk over a year ago
Rooms were very comfortable and the service was great. We really enjoyed our stay and will come again.
Rating: Reviewed by Alistair Kingwill over a year ago
Thank you, we enjoyed our stay. Everything was fine. Thank you for cleaning the cabin everyday, staff was friendly and helpful... Overall impression was good.
Rating: Reviewed by HF Papenfus over a year ago
Other Accommodation near Golden Gate Highlands National Park:
Accommodation options within 8km from Golden Gate Highlands National Park include:
Guest Rating: (11 reviews)
Glen Reenen lies within the Golden Gate Highlands Park - a 11 600 ha of unique highland habitat, providing home to a variety of mammals and birds, including the rare Bearded Vulture (Lammergeier) and the equally rare Bald Ibis.
per unit, Max: 2
Guest Rating: (10 reviews)
A great escape for the mind, body and soul... the Highlands Mountain Retreat, is a luxury camp in the Golden Gate Highlands National Park.