Rooms:Tierkloof Eco Lodge
(sleeps max 8 people)
Rustic accommodation built from thatch & reed situated in Sweetthorn thicket at the foot of the Gamkaberg.
The main hut consists of a kitchen/dining room and a living area with Jet master for the cold winter nights (two seating areas can double up as two single beds are also in the living area). Separate to this are three tents pitched under, with two with two single beds each and one with a double bed. The bush camp boasts a swimming reservoir, shaded deck, big lapa and braai area.
Fossil Ridge Eco Lodge
(sleep max 4 people)
Rustic accommodation built from poles & reed situated next to the fossil rich ridge at the foot of the Gamkaberg. Various day hikes can also be done from here.
The main lapa consists of a kitchen/dining room and a living area. Separate to this are two safari style tents pitched on decks, with two single beds in one and king size bed in the other tent. The lodge boasts a non chlorinated splash pool, deck, lapa and braai area.
Sweetthorn Eco Lodge
(sleep max 6 people)
Rustic accommodation built from poles & reed situated in Sweetthorn thicket at the foot of the Gamkaberg. Various day hikes can also be done from here.
The main lapa consists of a kitchen/dining room and a living area. Separate to this are three safari style tents pitched on decks, two with two single beds and one with a king size bed. The lodge boasts a non chlorinated splash pool, shaded deck, lapa and braai area.
The following is provided at the Lodges:
- Beds, mattresses including bedding and towles
- Gas fridge and hob
- Cutlery and crockery, pots and pans (for 6 people)
- Camp chairs, tables and benches
- in the lapa
- Eco friendly waterless toilets
- Lanterns (solar electricity)
- Hot water showers (solar heated)
- Firewood for sale (R15.00 per 5kg bundle)
: (max 16 people)
Situated nearby the office and info centre at the foot of the Gamkaberg overlooking the Klein Karoo Valley and the Swartberg Mountains . Various day hikes as well as the overnight trail can also be done from here.
The old horse stables have been converted into two separate ‘rooms’, each room sleeps 4 people and each has its own entrance.
The two rooms (called Stable 1 or Stable 2) are rented out to only one group at a time. Between the two rooms is a ‘kitchen’ area with a table, chairs and a 2-plate gas stove and gas fridge. Water is available but no electricity so remember to bring your torches.
Mattresses are provided for the beds but you will need to bring your own bedding. A sheltered lapa/braai area is situated just in front of the stables.
Gamkaberg Nature Reserve Activities:
There are five short day trails on the reserve ranging from 0.7km to 14.4km.
These trails take you through succulent Karoo, subtropical thicket and evergreen forest in the deep Tierkloof ravine.
In addition to the short trails there is also a Bossie Identification Guide where 20 common plants together with some of their uses are identified in the field by means of number plates.
Gamkaberg Nature Reserve Map:
Health & Climate:
The reserve lies between the winter and summer rainfall regions, experiencing gentle soaking rain in winter and thundershowers in summer.
The annual rainfall averages 500mm at the summits and 300mm on the lower slopes of the mountain. Although summers can be very hot, the moderate climate allows for visiting throughout the year (malaria-free area).
Things to Remember
• Remember to take your booking confirmation as this is also your entry permit.
• A reasonably high clearance vehicle is advised for Gamkaberg
• Food and drinks (No cafes or restaurants close by).
• Outdoor gear (e.g. walking shoes, hats, binoculars, torches, reading material, swimming costumes & toiletries)
• Please remember that you are in a nature reserve. No fauna or flora may be damaged, removed or disturbed in any way.
• General: Wood can be purchased from the office so please do not take wood from the surrounding areas for your fire, remember you are in a nature reserve and each peace of wood creates a home for some or other creature.
Second stay at the camp and will go again any day for the tranquil setting and beautiful and relaxed atmosphere.