Located in the Cathedral Peak valley of the u Khahlamba Drakensberg Park, a World Heritage Site, Didimais a 5-hour driver on the N3 form Johannesburg and 4 hours from Durban. Didima Resort
is set in a Stunning mountain paradise bathed in scenic beauty with rivers, streams, waterfalls, grasslands and craggy cliffs. The Resort`s accommodation is uniquely style, symbolic of the dwellings of the San people who once lived in these mountains.
celebrates the now lost culture of the San people and captures something of their oneness with their environment. Their art has been accurately reproduced and can be viewed at the San Rock Centre as well as in small shelters found throughout the Park.
The Cathedral Peak area is a hikers delight, offering routes ranging from a few hours on the mountain paths to several days of camping and adventure.
HOW TO GET THERE:
From the south:
Pass Estcourt on the right of the N3, take the Winterton/Colenso off-ramp; head for Winterton (22 km); in Winterton, opposite the Engen petrol station, turn left over the railway line; follow the Cathedral Peak/Didima signs.
Follow the road signs to Bergville; pass Bergville; turn right, 1 km beyond Bergville and follow the Cathedral Peak/Didima signs.
WHAT TO DO ON ARRIVAL:
- An entrance fee is payable at the control gate.
- All overnight visitors must check in at the reception office on arrival.
- Office hours are from 07:00 - 19:00 daily.
- Check in time is 14:00 on the day of arrival and check out is 10:00 on the day of departure.
- A refundable key deposit of R50 is payable on arrival.
- No pets of any kind are permitted in the reserve.
- Entrance gate is open 24 hours a day.
- Basic foods and provisions are available at the curio shop (open 08:00-19:00 daily) and Winterton village approximately 45 km away.
- Self-catering units do not have ovens.
- Petrol may be purchased at the Cathedral Peak Hotel, which is situated 4 km up the road from the control gate.
Mikes Pass Drive is closed for the public only NCS vehicle are permitted to take guests at a rate of R 60 PP minimum charge for 4 persons.
Trip times are:
- 09 am
- 12 pm
- 16 pm
Services at Didima Resort:
- Chalets are serviced daily
- Restaurant and bar
- Hiking tour guides
- Office facilities, including internet
- Cellphone reception
- Child-minding services
- Shop with curios, firewood, hiking maps, phone cards and basic supplies
Attractions at Didima Resort:
Didima`s distinctive chalets and camp layout follow a symbolic expression of the San`s (or Bushmen) culture and way of life
The Didima Rock Art Centre offers insight into the rich art and culture of the San
Didima`s Conference Centre venue provides one of the most scenic venues for weddings and functions
Mike`s Pass offers an unique opportunity to drive or cycle to the top of the little berg for a panoramic view of the escarpment
Activities at Didima Resort:
Cathedral Peak is a hikers’ paradise, with its many hikes ranging in duration from one to several days.
A local map with details on eight different walks commencing from the resort is available at the reception office.
The Mountain Rescue Register must to be completed before you begin your hike.
Make sure you sign out again when you return.
Please ensure that you complete the mountain rescue register correctly and in detail.
It is very often the only information the rescue team has to go on if you have an accident or get lost.
When you leave the park, it is essential that you record your return in the mountain rescue register.
Failure to do so wastes valuable time for managers during rescue operations.
Your life may depend on this information.
- Please ensure that you always complete the overnight mountain register (available at the reception) Plan your route;
describe this accurately in the register and stick to your plan;
- If you intend to use caves for over-nighting these must be booked with the office before you depart on your hike;
- For unexpected eventualities, always carry a tent suitable for mountain conditions, even if you have planned to stay in a cave;
- Never hike alone;
- An accurate map is vital.
- Detailed hiking maps from No. 1-5 are available at the Curio Shop at a nominal fee.
- If you intend hiking on the summit be sure to carry your passport.
- Never leave any equipment unattended and check that you have placed all your belongings inside your tent at night.
- All overnight hikers must keep their fee invoice with them.
- If you choose to carry a firearm with you keep it concealed at all times and declare it at the park’s reception Day walk register available even if you are planning for a short walk.
Accommodation at Didima Resort:
Didima Resort features 63 two-bed chalets, 2 four bed, luxury honeymoon suite and 1 six bed bungalow.
Each of the two bed chalets are connected by an inter-leading doorway allowing the two chalets to be converted into a four bed family unit with self catering facility.
In addition Didima features two four-bed chalets with two bedrooms each en-suite, a lounge/dining area and one six-bed chalet with three bedrooms, a lounge/dining area and a kitchen.
CATHEDRAL PEAK COMMUNITY CAMPSITE
The Cathedral Peak Community Campsite offers 30 camping and caravan sites with electricity that can accommodate a maximum of 6 people.
Campers are to pay the fees at the reception.
The communal ablution facilities have toilets, hot showers, baths and a communal kitchen.
Braai stands are available; with firewood and charcoal for sale at the Curio Shop
High season dates and rates are applicable from:
7 December 2016 to 17 January 2017
17 March 2017 to 01 May 2017
15 June 2017 to 16 July 2017
22 September 2017 to 08 October 2017
High season rates are also applicable over any events.
Didima Cathedral Peak:
Bordering on the upper Thukela area in the north and east, Lesotho in the west and Monk`s Cowl in the south, this section of the Ukhahlamba Drakensberg Park is 32 000 hectares in extent. Containing the magnificent Didima Valley with its many examples of San Rock art, it is a hikers paradise offering routes that range from a few hours to several days.
For the visitors less inclined to physical activity or whose time is limited, Mike`s Pass provides an opportunity to drive to the top of the Little Berg near the head of Didima Gorge for spectacular views of the main escarpment and the surrounding lowlands.
While hiking, a wide selection of plants and animals can be seen in the extensive grasslands and forest patches characteristic of this part of the `Berg`.
Overhead the effortless flight of a Bearded vulture (Lammergeyer) while closer at hand Malachite sun birds flash from protea to protea, a noisy troop of baboons bark at the intruders in their domain and a family of Mountain reedbuck display their white tails as they race up a nearby slope. Didima Resort offers an upmarket 140 bed hutted accommodation themed to the San People and their rock art and a modern interactive interpretive centre which l allows visitors a glimpse into the lives of these First People.
We all enjoyed the very short stay and waking up to the breath taking view was awesome.
Thank you to SA places Mariechen to be specific. The place was beautiful. Tops service, good food. We had a great time, sorry I can't upload pictures from my phone.
A Big thank you to the Staff for the greatest hospitality, Breakfast was to die for, what an amazing experience my boyfriend and I had, if you are looking for a place that truly defines peace Didima Cathedral Peak is most definitely the place to go, and the most scenic route to Rainbow Gorge.
Guys, we've enjoyed our stay at Didima. It's really a place to visit although it's cold but that won't stop me from making another booking, believe me this time it will be in summer. It's a really great place to clear your mind. Keep up the great work guys & hoping to see more places when I visit again.